Saturday, August 2, 2008

Weekly report week 4

Yes we are on week 4, I sure do wish we were on a 4 weeks on 1 week off schedule and I would be a lot happier, but we have the first month down and completed. So last week I showed you our "core" assignment sheet, this week I will show you our history assignment sheet.

This is the front page, it lists all the vocabulary words for the week, people to know, reading assignments, literature focus, and a master checklist. Notice the reading box is labeled 1-4, dh has only one day off per week normally and so we take off Wednesday to be with dad and to run errands (we have only one car).

This has some notes about this week, and lists our hands on projects for this "theme" I find that older kids like to do one or two bigger projects instead of little ones, at least my kids do. The queen and wacky prince are making pectoral (see week in review #3 it is the jewelry thingy) and the chef is going to making a model of a home during this time period (he begged to do this instead of the other ). They are also doing a salt dough map of the area. I figure TOG is so crazy about salt dough maps that using it for going on our fourth year we need to at least make one, right?

These are his accountability questions, these are his notes for when we have our history discussion. We normally have our history discussion on Monday of the next week, what I do is we discuss last weeks leesson and then I give a preview of the coming week. I love TOG but after 4 years I have learned to adapt it to our family, I don't have to the talk on Wed because we don't do the writing that comes with TOG. And I have a lot more "discussion" or lecture energy at the beginning of the week and by Friday I am spent and when co-op starts I will be even more so!



These are our history books for this week and next


We are continuing to love our new Bible program Bible Explorer Wisdom of Words, it has worked out so nicely

This is the chef's work it is also used with Wacky Prince and the Queen uses the same but a different level (this is Discovery level shown Queen uses Quest). We are still working hard on completing our math u see so we can move onto Saxon, boy do we need the review every day especially the Queen, the prince has moved onto Saxon and I have seen an improvement in him already.

Things I have learned this week: (in case people are curious)
-the Ancient Egyptians created a calendar that was very accurate even though it relied on the flooding of the Nile River.

-that the egyptians only used high windows in their homes (geez they had windows I thought tents) to get light but not sunlight heat in their homes

-they cooled their homes by wetting mats and the evaporated air cooled

-that squirrels like to eat grass when there is no water around (nope not in our reading but I observed it in our backyard)

So that is our week in review!

2 comments:

LLLAcademy said...

Ohh, I love all the forms you have made for TOG. It sounds like you have really been able to make it work for your family.

Thank you for also including the things you have learned this week. They were really neat to read through. I know I too have learned so much while homeschooling my kids.

I hope you have another great week :)

Jubilee said...

Just a warning on the salt dough maps. Should you, instead, do the peanut butter dough because you have more peanut butter than salt, you should guard the completed project with your life. I'm thinking slow (6-month) paint poisoning could be what did Cocoa in... :0)