Saturday, March 29, 2008

My new love and my food allergy story




Dh and I have been watching Celebrity Apprentice and are really sad about the last one and the winner. Actually we are shocked and disappointed, our hero did not win. If you have never heard of Trace Adkins you need to listen, he has a wonderful deep voice but most important he has a heart. I am normally a Christian Rock fan but this guy is a wonderful singer. After watching this show for 3 months and listen to this guy talk about his family and the struggles his dd struggles with, she has severe food allergies, you can tell he has a great love for his family.


Only after watching him for this long did I get curious enough to listen to his music and wow, as a former honky tonker I sure wish I would have stumbles upon him earlier. He played for FAAN, The Food Allergy and Anaphylaxis Network, and as someone has suffers from food allergies this is a great organization. Many people do not understand allergies and just think you can take some benadryl and be fine.


Going out to eat can be a scary thing for people with food allergies, I will tell you the story of a couple of years ago when dh went out for our anniversary. We were working a conference with dh's work and our hotel treated us to a dinner at their 5 star restaurant, it was a huge conference and the publicity director found out it fell on our anniversary and the hotel treated us. So for once we have no kids and we are so jazzed and I mean we got the royal treatment, boy they treated us special but I could not get this waiter to understand I can not eat shellfish, nope not even a little bit. Everything he brought out my poor dh had to taste and every single on had shellfish in it. This was right after I found out I was allergic and had had a bad reaction, and so I was terrified. He bring us the main course and after telling this guy everytime, I thought I was safe with a chicken dish. Nope it was cooked in a shrimp butter, thanks the only thing I was able to eat that night was dessert.

The truly scary thing was how many times we told this guy and he just did not get it. My poor dh who loves me more than anything had to taste every single thing that was brought to me, and after about the fifth thing really start to feel bad for me. Honestly you could tell by the look on his face that it was delicious and he had to tell me no! It was really sad when we got back to our room, he actually ordered me a pizza because he knew how hungry I still was UGH it was such a let down. So to this day we are extremely careful when we do eat out, which we rarely do anymore. No one values your health as much as you do!

2 comments:

Lorelei said...

Oh you poor thing. How disappointing it must have been - a fancy meal out and you couldn't even enjoy it. That's just so not fair.

The Herd said...

We soooo understand the allergy thing...one time we asked a guy if a smoothy had dairy and he said, No, it's dairy free, it's made from yogurt!! HA! I'm glad we asked!